State of Utah- Veteran Benefits

Financial Assistance

Does the State of Utah offer any Tax Relief Programs?
Yes. The State of Utah offers a tax abatement to disabled Veterans rated at least 10%
and to their unmarried widows or minor orphans. The maximum property tax exemption
for a service-connected disability rated at 100% is $244,064. A Veteranʼs property tax
exemption is determined by multiplying their percentage of disability rating by $244,064.
For example, if a Veteran was rated at 10%, their tax abatement would be 10% x

Can I use the Property Tax Abatement for any property?
The State of Utah allows the Veteran to use their qualifying abatement amount towards
real property (their primary residence) or tangible property, such as a vehicle.

How do I apply for the Tax Relief Program?
Disabled Veterans must complete a tax exemption application obtained from their local
county office and submit it, along with VA Form 20-5455 and a copy of their active duty
release/discharge certificate on or before September 1st. The property must be on
record as of January 1st for the year you file, except for qualified widows and orphans.

Do I have to re-apply each year?
It depends. A disabled Veteran is only required to file for property tax abatement one
time as long as the abatement is being used exclusively for their permanent residence.
Veterans who use all or a portion of their abatement towards tangible personal property,
such as a vehicle, will need to re-file annually. They will also need to re-file if they sale
the property or no longer claim it as their primary residence, their service-connected
disability rating changes, or they die.

Employment Assistance

What Veterans Job Preference does the State of Utah grant?
Eligible Veterans or their un-remarried spouses are given a 5 or 10 point employment
preference to the results of any written or oral exam for employment at any Utah
Government entity.

What is the Veterans Hiring Priority in the State of Utah?
Agencies contracted by the State of Utah to perform work are required to grant Veterans
a hiring priority. Any officers, agents or representatives of the State of Utah or agencies
contracted by the State of Utah who intentionally fails to hire a military Veteran is guilty
of a misdemeanor.

Where can I get Help in finding Employment?
The Utah Department of Workforce Services provides Local Veterans Employment
Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans Outreach Person (DVOP) throughout
the state. These services provide extensive employment services specifically for
Veterans such as job referrals, employment counseling, resume writing assistance and
referral letters. Veterans can utilize this employment assistance at their local
Department of Workforce Services office.

Education Assistance

Does the State of Utah offer any Education Benefits to Veterans and their
Yes. The State of Utah offers a tuition waiver for Purple Heart Recipients, tuition waiver
for surviving dependents of military members, Honorary High School Diplomas, and
admission assistance to post-secondary schools.

What is the Purple Heart Recipient Program?
Recipients of a Purple Heart who are also residents of Utah and admitted to a Utah
public institution for either an undergraduate or graduate program will receive a full
tuition waiver.

What is the Scott B Lundell Tuition Waiver Program?
The Scott B Lundell Tuition Waiver is a Bill that waives the undergraduate tuition at Utah
institutions of higher education for dependents of Utah residents who where active duty
in the military and killed in the line of duty after 9/11/2001. The waiver includes tuition
fees only and does not cover any other fees, books or housing expenses.

Who is eligible to receive an Honorary High School Diploma?
Veterans who left High School to serve in WWII, Korea or Vietnam are eligible to
receive an Honorary High School Diploma from the high school they left. To receive an
Honorary Diploma or for more information, contact the school district the service
member attended.

What Admission Assistance to Post-Secondary schools does the State of Utah
The State of Utah offers a Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program that assists
Veterans in gaining admission to post-secondary schools by providing instruction and
tutoring in math, english, and basic computer applications free of charge. The VUB
Program is sponsored by Weber State University and is funded by the Department of

Other State of Utah Benefits

License Plates for Veterans
The State of Utah offers Utah Veteranʼs license plates for an initial $25 contribution to
The Utah State Department of Veterans Affairs plus a $10 transfer fee in addition to
regular vehicle registration and property tax fees. It also offers special group license
plates for former POWs, Pearl Harbor Survivors or Purple Heart recipients. These
special group license plates are exempt from application and renewal fees. However,
normal registration and property tax fees still apply. A “Disabled Veteran” plate is also
available for Veterans with service-connected disabilities for a one-time fee of $15. To
apply, bring identification and proper evidence to your local Department of Motor
Vehicles (DMV) office.

Claim and Records Assistance
The Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs provides information, counseling and
assistance to Veterans and their dependents in determining and processing claims for
their state and federal benefits. Contact your local office for assistance.

Veterans Nursing Homes
The State of Utah provides quality nursing and health care services to its Veterans.
Veterans with one or more day of wartime service receive top priority. A Veterans
spouse or surviving spouse is also eligible for admittance as long as the marriage to the
Veteran took place at least one year before their application.

Veterans Cemetery & Memorial Park
Utahʼs Veteranʼs Cemetery is available for any U.S. Armed Forces personnel who
served during wartime or died in the line of duty. A Veteranʼs surviving spouse and
dependent children are eligible for burial at Utahʼs Veterans Cemetery & Memorial Park,
as are Utahʼs National Guard and Reservists service members with at least 20 years

Free Use of Armories
War Veteran Organizations may use armories owned by the State of Utah as a meeting
place free of charge as long as such meetings do not interfere with Utahʼs organized
militia or National Guard use.

Fishing Licenses for Disabled Veterans
The Utah Division of Wildlife provides Utah Disabled Veteran Fishing licenses free of
charge to Veterans with obvious physical handicaps such as wheelchair confinement,
loss of a limb, blindness or permanent use of crutches.

Free Admission to State-Controlled Parks
Utah Veterans are eligible to received a special Fun Tag at no charge if they are legally
blind or non-ambulatory, which is defined as permanent confinement to a wheelchair,
loss of either or both extremities or permanent use of a mobility device such as a cane
or crutches. A Fun Tag allows for day use access to most of Utahʼs 41 state-controlled
parks but does not apply to camping or other special fees. To apply for a Fun Tag, visit or call 1-877-UTPARKS.

Public Transportation Reduced Fare Cards
The State of Utah offers a discounted fare of 50% for transportation on Utah Transit
Authority (UTS) busses and TRAX light rail systems to Veterans who have a minimum
VA service-connected disability rating of 40%, are in receipt of VA non-service
connected pension or, regardless of disability rating, have a transportation disability
including but not limited to difficulty in boarding, hearing announcements by transit
system or operators, reading or understanding information signs, or difficulty standing in
a moving transportation system.

One thought on “State of Utah- Veteran Benefits

  1. well I think it is a good support for all the veterans, I guess they will be grateful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2019 Low VA Rates, LLC™. All Rights Reserved. We are not affiliated with any government agencies, including the VA, FHA, or the HUD. All our approved lenders are authorized VA, FHA and or Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac approved. Click on these links to access our Privacy Policy and our Licensing Information. Consumer NMLS Access - NMLS #1109426