All of us here at Low VA Rates want to wish veterans and military families around the country a happy Halloween! We wish everyone could be home with their families for the holiday, but sometimes this isn’t possible. Maybe some of you are living on base and aren’t sure how to celebrate the holiday. Regardless of your situation, there are ways you can feel close and connected to your family and enjoy Halloween.
How to Celebrate Halloween as a Military Family
Even if you live on a military base, you can still participate in some great Halloween and fall activities. Take a look at these 6 common Halloween activities to get some ideas!
- Neighborhood Football: Get your neighbors together for a friendly competitive game of football. If you aren’t much of a football player, check to see if discount tickets are available for some nearby games. Or get friends together to watch one on t.v.
- Trick or Treat and Trunk or Treat: Taking your kids around the neighborhood to collect candy is a classic tradition, but another similar tradition called Trunk or Treat will keep your kids off the streets and away from strangers’ homes. Get your neighborhood or church together to decorate your car trunks and hand out candy to the kids all in the same parking lot.
- Costume Contest: Have a friendly costume competition. Think about adding different categories depending on how large the group is (best super hero, scariest, cutest, etc.).
- Watch a Scary Movie: There’s no better time of the year to watch a scary movie than on Halloween. Watch from your living room or set up a projector in your backyard for a bigger party. And don’t forget the monster-themed movie treats!
- Carve Military-Themed Pumpkins: Halloween isn’t complete unless you’ve carved a pumpkin and why not show your support for your military family member at the same time? Some classic ideas are carving the seal of your branch, painting on camouflage, or carving out the United States flag.
- Chili Cook-Off: Chili cook-offs give you the perfect excuse to whip out your great-great-great grandma’s secret recipe and impress your friends. Plus, chili is delicious!
Be Safe and Have Fun!
Wherever you are celebrating today, remember to be safe, and above all, have fun! If you’d like to know more about what we can do for you here at Low VA Rates, or if you want more military holiday ideas, check out our site. Happy Halloween from Low VA Rates!