Benefits of Oklahoma VA Loans for Veterans.

Veterans and Service Members, you’ve earned your VA eligibility- apply for your VA Loan today and become a homeowner in the beautiful State of Oklahoma! Oklahoma State loves its Veterans and offers generous Financial Benefits, Employment Benefits, Education Benefits, Recreation and Other Benefits to its Veterans and Service Members. Call the beautiful State of Oklahoma your home today!

Oklahoma Residents Save


Savings based on 2015 active loan data

58Gallons of gas

*Price-per-gallon based on CNN Money


*Based on an average lunch price of $8.08

Financial Benefits

Does the State of Oklahoma offer Tax Exemptions to Veterans?

Yes. The State of Oregon offers exemptions on property tax, Oklahoma income tax, sales tax, motor vehicle tax, and retirement benefits to Veterans as follows:

Property Tax: Veterans who were honorably discharged with a 100% service-connected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs and are residents of the State of Oklahoma, or their surviving spouse, are eligible for a full fair cash value exemption on their homestead. For more information and to apply, visit the Oklahoma Ad Valorem website and complete OTC Form 998, Application for 100% Disabled Veterans Real Property Tax Exemption.

Oklahoma Income Tax: The Oklahoma Tax Commission shall deduct the first one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) received as salary for service in the United States Armed Forces from taxable income.

Sales Tax: Honorably discharged Veteran residents of the State of Oklahoma with a 100% totally and permanently disability as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs are exempt from paying all sales tax on tangle personal property or services. To apply, complete OTC Form 930, Application for Veterans Exemption Household Personal Property and submit at your local tax office.

Specially Adapted Housing: Disabled Veterans who receive U.S. Government assistance for the acquisition of specially adapted housing are excluded from ad valorem taxation on the first $38,000 in assessed value on their housing, along with the necessary land which is owned and used as a residence by the disabled Veteran.

Motor Vehicle Tax: Oklahoma Veterans with a 100% service-connected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs are eligible too receive a 100% tax exemption on one vehicle if the Veterans is listed on the title as the owner and the vehicle was purchased on or after July 1, 2005. This exemption may only be claimed on one vehicle in a consecutive three year period.

Retirement Benefits: Veterans in receipt of retirement benefits from any component of the United States Armed Forces are exempt from taxes on the greater $10,000, or 75% of the amount included in Federal Adjusted Gross Income.

For more information and relevant forms, visit the Oklahoma Tax Commission website or call (888) 655-2838.

What is the Veterans Reintegration Project in the State of Oklahoma?

The Veterans Reintegration Project is a partnership between the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs and local community outreach programs that aim to keep Veterans off the streets. Case workers are assigned to eligible homeless Veterans and aid them in gaining shelter, financial support and employment training. For more information, contact (877)-4AID-VET or visit the Oklahoma Homeless Veterans webpage.

Employment Benefits

What is the Special Disabled Veterans Employment Program offered to Veterans in the State of Oklahoma?

Honorably discharged wartime Veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 30% or more as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or Armed Forces of the United States who have been legal residents of Oklahoma for at least one year may be directly hired are exempt from entrance examinations and other hiring procedures required by the Office of Personnel Management when applying for employment with the State of Oklahoma. However, a one-year probationary period shall apply.

Does the State of Oklahoma offer a Preference for State Employment to Eligible Veterans?

Yes. A Veteran, unremarried surviving spouse of a Veteran, or spouse of a Veteran who is unemployable due to a service-connected disability shall have five (5) points added to their passing score on examinations required for state employment.

Ten (10) points shall be added to the passing score of a wartime Veteran with a service-connected disability as certified by the United States Department of Veterans Administration. Veterans with a service-connected disability rated at 30% or more shall receive Absolute Preference and be placed at the top of the register, ranked in order of examination scores.

What is Direct Hire Authority for Veterans in the State of Oklahoma?

Under the Direct Hire Authority program, applicants for LPN, RN and Nurse Manager positions may apply directly to the Veterans Centers for employment.

What are Noncompetitive Appointments for Veterans in the State of Oklahoma?

The Noncompetitive Appointments program allows Appointing Authorities to appoint qualified Veterans or Non-Veterans in positions of unskilled or semi-skilled labor, or similar classes designated as noncompetitive by the Administrator.

Does the State of Oklahoma provide Employment Assistance to Veterans?

Yes. The Oklahoma Employment Security Commission operates Workforce Centers throughout the State of Oklahoma that have departments dedicated to assisting Veterans find employment. Contact your local Veteran Service Representative or visit your local Oklahoma Worforce Center for employment assistance today.

What is Oklahoma Works?

Oklahoma Works is a resource that connects civilian employers with Veterans and Service Members seeking employment and also provides training, support and other services for military spouses. For more information, visit the Oklahoma Works website.

Education Benefits

Does the State of Oklahoma offer Education Benefits to Dependents or Survivors of Veterans?

Yes. The State of Oklahoma waives the tuition at any state-funded Technology and Technical Career Center operating under the State Board of Career and Technology Education, excluding the Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology-Okmulgee. Oklahoma Veterans or dependents of an Oklahoma Veteran missing in Action or Prisoner of War are eligible to apply. Contact your school of choice for more information.

What is the Heroes Promises program for Children of Oklahoma Military Personnel?

The Heroes Promises program is a scholarship for children of Oklahoma military personnel killed in action after January 1, 2000. The person killed must have filed an individual or joint Oklahoma income tax return for the tax year prior to or during the year they were killed. This scholarship pays full tuition at Oklahoma public community colleges or universities. It will also cover a portion of tuition at Oklahoma private colleges or universities that are accredited and approved for credit toward an Associate in Applied Science degree at a public college.

The Heroes Promises scholarship is good for up to five years, or completion of a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first. The final scholarship amount will depend on the college attended, tuition rates in effect at time of attendance and whether student attends part-time or full time. To be eligible, the student must be an Oklahoma resident and must enroll within the Oklahoma State System of Higher Education prior to their twenty-first birthday.

Does the State of Oklahoma offer College Credit for Service?

Yes. As of January 1, 2013, Oklahoma colleges, universities and technology centers shall provide academic credit to honorably discharged Veterans for the previous three years of any education, training and experience received through their military training and service that pertains to their area of study. Contact the school directly for more information.

Does the State of Oklahoma offer High School diplomas to Veterans?

Yes. Veterans who left high school to serve in World War II, the Korean War, or the Vietnam War before graduating are eligible to receive a high school diploma from any independent school district in the State of Oklahoma as long as they are Oklahoma residents, were honorably discharged from the the U.S. Armed Forces and served on active duty or were discharged with a service-connected disability between September 16, 1940 and December 31, 1946, June 27, 1950 and January 31, 1955, or May 13, 1961 and April 29, 1975.

What is the Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG)?

The Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant is a grant available to Oklahoma residents who have a high school diploma or GED certificate. The grant does not have to be repaid and is awarded on a need-basis. The maximum annual award is $1,000-$1,300 (depending on college or university attended) or 75 percent of enrollment costs, whichever is lesser. Visit the OTAG Eligible Schools directory to find an eligible school near you.

What is the Expedited Professional Licensure for Service Members and Spouses provided in the State of Oklahoma?

Service members who apply for any professional licensure in the State of Oklahoma shall have any relevant training, education and experience derived from military service applied toward such licensure application. To apply, submit an application, satisfactory evidence of training, experience, and education obtained as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, licenses held from other jurisdictions, criminal history and fingerprint card (if applicable) and successful completion of the appropriate exam to the Oklahoma Trade Committee Board.

Military spouses may receive an expedited professional licensure if they are actively licensed in another state, are the spouse of an active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces subject to a military transfer to Oklahoma, and left employment in another state in order to accompany service member.

Other Oklahoma State Benefits for Veterans

License Plates

The Oklahoma Tax Commission has authorized the following Veterans Speciality License Plates:

  • Prisoner of War
  • Disabled Veterans
  • Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
  • Missing in Action
  • Pearl Harbor Survivor
  • United States Armed Forces
  • Purple Heart Recipient
  • Killed in Action
  • Iwo Jima
  • D-Day Survivor
  • Military Decoration
  • Vietnam Veteran
  • World War II Veteran
  • Korean War Veteran
  • Surviving Spouse
  • Air Guard National
  • National Guard
  • Oklahoma Military Alumni

Oklahoma Veterans with a service-connected disability of 50% or more are entitled to a reduced rate on registration and/or special DAV license plates. For more information, visit your local Oklahoma Tag Agent or contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission at:

OKC Metro Area

2501 North Lincoln Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK 73194
(405) 521-3160

Tulsa Metro Area

440 South Houston, 5th Floor
Tulsa, OK 74127
(918) 581-2399

Veterans Designation of Driver’s Licenses

Honorably discharged Veterans may receive a Veterans Designation on their drivers’ licenses, permits or IDs in the State of Oklahoma. To apply, present a current Veterans ID Card, DD214 or other military discharge document showing an honorable discharge with license application.

Oklahoma Cross of Valor

The State of Oklahoma offers The Oklahoma Cross of Valor medal to Veterans who were residents of the State of Oklahoma when they entered the military service of the United States Armed Forces and performed service during any period of time in which the United States participated in a war, campaign or battle in which they were officially listed as “captive” by the enemy during such service, and was honorably discharged from military service.

State Parks and Museums

Honorably discharged Veterans who are current Oklahoma residents are eligible for free admission to all Oklahoma state owned and operated parks and museums. For free admission, present a valid Oklahoma state photo identification, such as a driver’s license and military discharge papers or similar evidence of honorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces.

Hunting and Fishing License

Oklahoma resident Veterans with a disability rating certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) are eligible for free or reduced fee lifetime hunting and fishing permits, depending on the disability rating.

Veterans with a disability rating of 60% OR MORE as certified by the USDVA are eligible to receive a free hunting and fishing permit. If a Veteran a disability rating of 100% as certified by the USDVA, they are also exempt from fees for DEER GUN HUNTING license, DEER ARCHERY HUNTING license, PRIMITIVE FIREARMS license, and BONUS, SPECIAL OR SECOND DEER GUN HUNTING license.

Veterans with a disability rating of LESS THAN 60% as certified by the USDVA are eligible to purchase a lifetime combination hunting and fishing license for $200.

Disabled Veterans with a disability rating of 60% OR MORE are exempt from the Wildlife Land Stamp requirements.

To apply, complete the Oklahoma Hunting and Fishing Application and submit to:

Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs

Claims and Benefits Division
125 South Main, Room 1B38
Muskogee, OK 74401

Burial Benefits

There are two National Cemeteries and two Oklahoma State cemeteries located in Oklahoma:

Fort Gibson National Cemetery

1423 Cemetery Road
Ft. Gibson, OK 74434
(918) 478-2334

Fort Sill National Cemetery

2648 NE Jake Dunn Road
Elgin, OK 73538
(580) 492-3200

Seminole Nation & Veterans Memorial Cemetery

35419 Hwy 59
Seminole, OK 74868
(405) 257-7200

Oklahoma Veterans Cemetery

2312 NE 36th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73111
Mailing Address:
3501 Military Circle

Eligible Veterans, their spouses and dependent children may be interred in National or State Cemeteries. The following interment services are provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to eligible Veterans at no charge (a basic internment fee is charged for eligible spouses/dependents):

  • Burial plot or columbarium niche
  • Concrete liner for casket burials
  • Opening and closing of the grave
  • Perpetual care of the gravesite
  • Inscribed gravestone
  • Burial Flag
  • 20 minute committal service
  • Military Honors

For more information, visit Oklahoma’s Federal Veteran Burial Benefits webpage or contact the cemetery directly.

Oklahoma Veterans Centers/ Homes

There are seven (7) quality Veterans Centers/Homes located in Oklahoma with a total of 1,423 beds that provide intermediate to skilled nursing care to its Veterans. Oklahoma ranks among the top two states in the number and quality of Veterans Centers available to Veterans. Its Veteran Centers are operated similar to private communities and are situated in spacious, landscaped areas and feature recreational halls, auditoriums, cafeterias, laundries, maintenance shops, power plants and administrative offices.

To be eligible for admission, a Veteran must have:

  • Served in the Armed Forces for other than training purposes
  • Received an Honorably Discharge from the United States Armed Forces
  • Resided in Oklahoma for at least 12 months prior to application
  • Disability due to age, disease or other reasons as determined by a physician
  • Certification of need of assisted living or skilled nursing care provided by VA physician

Priority shall be given to Veterans with wartime service based on service-connected disability rating by the USDVA, followed by eligible Veterans with no wartime service and lastly spouses and surviving spouses may be admitted when space allows after all eligible Veterans have been admitted.

For more information and to apply, contact your local Veterans Center below and complete an Oklahoma Veterans Centers Application, along with proper documentation to prove Veteran status, such as a Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other documentation from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, such as an M11 or DD-215, or Disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If Veteran has an EX-POW status, documentation from the USDVA, branch of the Armed services, or newspaper clippings is required to verify prisoner of war status.

Effective June 1, 2009, Veterans with a 70% or greater service-connected disability rating as determined by the USDVA will receive full cost of care at any Oklahoma Veteran Center.

Ardmore Veterans Center

1015 S. Commerce
P.O. Box 489
Ardmore, Oklahoma 73402
Ph: (580) 223-2266, Fax: (580) 221-5606

Claremore Veterans Center

3001 W. Blue Starr Drive
P.O. Box 988
Claremore, Oklahoma 74018
Ph: (918) 342-5432 Fax: (918) 342-0835

Clinton Veterans Center

1/4 mile S. of 1-40 on Hwy. 183
P.O. Box 1668
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
Ph: (580) 331-2200, Fax: (580) 323-4834

Lawton/Fort Sill Veterans Center

501 SE Flower Mound Road
P.O. Box 849
Lawton, Oklahoma 73502
Ph: (580) 351-6511 Fax: (580) 351-6526

Norman Veterans Center

1176 E. Robinson/ P.O. Box 1668
Norman, Oklahoma 73070
Ph: (405) 360-5600, Fax: (405) 321-3647


Sulphur Veterans Center

304 E. Fairlane
Sulphur, Oklahoma 73086
Ph: (580) 622-2144 Fax: (580) 622-5881

Talihina Veterans Center

P.O. Box 1168
4 miles NW on HWY 63A
Talihina, Oklahoma 74571
Ph: (918) 567-2251, Fax: (918) 567-2950

Medical Centers

Oklahoma City VA Medical Center

921 NE 13th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
(405) 456-1000

Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center

1011 Honor Heights Dr.
Muskogee, OK 74401
(918) 577-3000

Outpatient Clinics

There are numerous Outpatient Clinics located throughout the State of Oklahoma. Visit the Oklahoma Veterans Health Administration Clinic Directory to find the Outpatient Clinic nearest you.

Other Resources

Muskogee Regional Benefit Office

125 South Main Street
Muskogee, OK 74401
(800) 827-1000

Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs

2311 N. Central
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
(405) 521-3684

Veterans’ Crisis and Suicide Hotlines

A 24-hour Crisis and Suicide hotline is available to provide assistance to Veterans and their families 24 hours every day:

Veterans’ Crisis Hotline: 1-888-920-6333
Veterans’ Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Get Started Today

Your dream home is a call away